Baytown Moves Campaign
Baytown is home to 50+ parks, 15+ miles of trails, and countless ways to move! It’s easy to get moving with so much to choose from in our own community. Baytown Moves is a city-wide campaign aimed at helping you find ways to stay active. We want to help you find your favorite parks, trails and activities.
Baytown Moves is supported by Be Well™ Baytown, an initiative of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center sponsored by ExxonMobil.
Why are parks important?
Parks make it fun and easier to be healthy. Parks provide a variety of opportunities for physical activity, helping people to lead an active lifestyle. According to the National Recreation and Park Association:
- Parks have a positive effect on your health, both mental and physical.
- Parks can lower stress. Residents who visited green spaces more often experienced less stress.
- Park users are three times more likely to achieve the recommended levels of physical activity.
- Youth living in neighborhoods with park facilities are more likely to be active five times a week.
Let’s get moving!
Fortunately, your free gym is all around you, and you can create your own schedule with fun amenities provided by Baytown Parks and Recreation.
Visit our main page to find information on:
- Parks and trails near you
- Amenities at parks including outdoor exercise equipment
- Free fun fitness activities and events
- Adult athletics leagues
How much physical activity do I need?
Being active doesn’t have to be extreme. Every time you move counts. Here are some general guidelines:
- Move more: The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends 150 minutes of physical activity every week. The good news is you don’t have to do it all at once. You can break it into intervals as short as 10 minutes at a time.
- Walk the block: Simply walking regularly has numerous benefits toward a healthier life
- Build strength: Try to include strengthening activities on two or more days a week
- Sit less: Get up and move for at least 1-2 minutes each hour of the day.
What stuff do I need?
Physical activity can be as simple as stretching or doing yardwork at home. But, it’s a lot more fun with friends or family at your favorite spot in town. When venturing out, consider taking these items with you:
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Sunscreen: Free dispensers at all of our splash parks
- A healthy snack
- Bug spray
- Reflective clothing