Driving Safety Course

If you are charged with a moving violation, you may request a driving safety course in person or in writing to dismiss the charge.

  • The request must be made on or before the appearance date on the citation.
  • If you were operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator course. 
  • If you were the driver charged with not wearing a safety belt or transporting a child not in a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system you must take a driving safety course that includes four hours of seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems instruction.

You are eligible if you:

  • Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the 12 months preceding the current offense.
  • Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation.
  • Do not have a commercial driver’s license.
  • Have not committed one of the following offenses:
    a. Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene
    b. Leaving the Scene of Accident
    c. Passing a School Bus
    d. A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators
    e. An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present

If you received a citation for speeding 25 mph over the speed limit or were involved in an accident, you are required to appear in court to submit your request for a driving safety course.

View All